Castor Oil is one of the oldest and most versatile products in use today — there are documented medicinal applications dating back thousands of years. It is a natural product, made from the beans of the castor plant. Although Castor Oil still has medicinal uses today, it has far more applications as a cosmetic ingredient, an industrial chemical and a specialty chemical. As a natural polyol, it is getting significant attention as a highly effective ingredient in polyurethane applications, replacing the traditional petroleum-based polyols.
Castor Oil Benefits
Castor oil offers a variety of benefits such as:
- Skin Moisturizing: Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, which acts as a humectant to moisturize skin. It is safe to use on the face and other areas of the body. It is always recommended to test on a small section of skin before applying fully to ensure users do not experience any allergic reaction.
- Promotes Hair and Scalp Health: Castor oil's moisturizing and anti-inflammatory characteristics can help to eliminate dry, scaly patches on the scalp and treat dandruff. It can also make hair softer.
- Promotes Healing: Castor oil's moisturizing properties can aid the healing process. Applying creams or ointments containing castor oil prevents wounds or sores from drying out, reduces the accumulation of dead skin cells and promotes the growth of healthy cells. Wounds treated with castor oil often heal faster than when using other treatment methods.
- Alleviates Acne Symptoms: Many teenagers and young adults suffer from acne, which causes pimples and blackheads to form on the face, back and other areas of the body. Castor oil's antimicrobial properties can help to combat bacteria overgrowth that leads to the formation of acne.
- Reduces Pain and Inflammation: The ricinoleic acid found in castor oil can reduce the pain and inflammation associated with psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. It may also relieve the dryness and skin irritation that often results from psoriasis.
- Constipation Relief: Castor oil is classified as a stimulant laxative — it promotes movement of the muscles that propel waste materials through the bowels. The results of several studies indicate that the oral consumption of castor oil relieves the symptoms of constipation.
- Helps Prevent Fungus: Castor oil's antifungal properties can help to stop the growth of Candida albicans, a fungus that can cause a variety of dental issues. Studies indicate that soaking dentures in a solution containing castor oil helps to prevent stomatitis, a painful condition that can cause inflammation and sores inside the mouth.
The castor oil benefits listed above facilitate its use in a variety of health and beauty-related products:
- Cosmetics: The use of castor oil for cosmetics includes products such as skin and body lotions and moisturizers.
- Hair and Scalp Care: Castor oil is a key ingredient in many shampoos, conditioners and hair and scalp treatment products.
- Personal Care: Castor oil is ideal in topical ointments used to treat dry skin, sores and minor skin wounds like cuts and abrasions.
- Laxatives: Some powerful laxatives contain castor oil due to its ability to relieve constipation.
18c: The Best Choice Among Castor Oil Suppliers
Acme-Hardesty has been selling castor oil for more than 50 years — we're an experienced and reliable source for castor oil and castor oil derivatives. As an extension of the Acme-Hardesty brand, you can count on 18c — which stands for 18 carbons — to give you a convenient, cost-effective solution for purchasing the high-quality castor oil you need to manufacture your products. We're committed to being a source of sustainable, natural castor oil that meets the requirements of today's manufacturers who are committed to producing sustainable products.
As flexible castor oil distributors, we enable you to purchase castor oil in smaller quantities — from bags and 1-gallon cans to pails and drums — from our 18c e-commerce store, which can help you keep your inventory costs under control. You'll receive the same superior customer service you've come to expect from Acme-Hardesty over the years in the quantities that you need.
Order Your Castor Oil Supply Today
You can purchase castor oil online right now in the size and quantities that work best for your manufacturing operation. We offer the following castor oils for sale online:
- Hydrogenated Castor Oil flakes in bags
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil liquid in cans and pails
- No. 1 Castor Oil liquid in pails and drums
- 12 Hydroxy Stearic Acid flakes
If you have questions or need assistance, feel free to give us a call or contact us online at your convenience. And while you're here, be sure to check out our 12HSA and our HCO which are also available in our store.