Hydrogenated castor oil is a waxy substance used in a wide range of industries. While buying the product in bulk can be beneficial, smaller boutiques and testing facilities may be looking for small quantities not available elsewhere. If you’re wondering where to buy hydrogenated castor oil for small-scale applications, you’ve come to the right place.
Hydrogenated castor oil is a waxy substance used in a wide range of industries. While buying the product in bulk can be beneficial, smaller companies and testing facilities may be looking for small quantities not available elsewhere. If you’re wondering where to buy hydrogenated castor oil for small-scale applications, you’ve come to the right place.
Our No. 1 Castor Oil, HCO and 12HSA are available here on 18c! HCO or Hydrogenated Castor Oil, is used in a variety of applications ranging from personal care to industrial. It acts as a viscosity modifier and improves resistance to grease and oil in coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers. HCO is a lubricant and release agent for PVC in plastics production and improves processing, dispersion and grease resistance of sheeted polyethylenes. It also acts as an emollient and thickening agent in ointments and deodorants, a binding agent in waxes, an emulsifier in soaps and detergents, and a thickening agent in lithium based greases. Hydrogenated Castor Oil is a product that will fit many of your needs.
What Is Hydrogenated Castor Oil, and Where Does It Come From?
Hydrogenated castor oil — also called HCO or castor wax — is a hard, white, opaque vegetable wax. Its resistance to moisture makes it useful in many coatings, greases, cosmetics, polishes and similar applications.
The wax is created by hydrogenating pure liquid castor oil, which is obtained from castor beans. The oil is heated under extreme pressure using a nickel catalyst during the hydrogenation process. Afterward, the hydrogen creates saturated molecules of castor wax, which gives the oil a higher melting point that allows it to remain solid at room temperature. After hydrogenation, the oil becomes hard and brittle to the touch.
Hydrogenated Castor Oil Uses and Applications
Hydrogenated castor oil flakes are incredibly versatile. Their unique structure is useful for applications in many industries. Some of the industries that often employ castor wax include:
- Skin care: HCO is an ingredient in numerous topical acne treatments and liquid soaps because of its anti-inflammatory qualities. Because it is insoluble in water, you can also add it to various lotions and creams to keep your product from washing off too easily when a user washes their hands. Further, antiperspirant manufacturers employ its unique consistency to keep deodorants’ bases firm but easily spreadable on the skin.
- Hair care: Likewise, the product is a favorite ingredient in conditioners. It can hydrate and moisturize dry hair due to the triglycerides naturally found in castor oil. It is also an excellent foam booster in shampoos.
- Cosmetics: Castor wax is found in nearly any cosmetic product that requires a waxy substance. Common makeup products using the wax include eyeliner pencils, lipsticks and balms.
- Plastics: HCO acts as both a release agent and a lubricant for PVC during plastics production and can aid in polyurethane coating production.
- Lubricants: Various greases and lubricants use HCO. It makes an excellent thickening agent in products such as lithium grease and greases for multipurpose use.
Shop Hydrogenated Castor Oil at 18c by Acme-Hardesty
If you’re looking for the best ingredients in your skin care and hair care products, ingredients like our hydrogenated castor oil are the way to go. Natural products benefit consumers’ health and are kind to even the most sensitive skin. Further, they represent a commitment to social responsibility. Natural products are ideal for the environment, and each of our ingredients is sustainably sourced. Your choice of environmentally friendly ingredients will benefit your customers, your business and the world around you.
Ready to order sustainable, bio-based solutions for your boutique? You can buy your hydrogenated castor oil in small quantities from 18c by Acme-Hardesty directly from our site. You’ll receive your order in the form of flakes, which come in 50# bags.