Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) is a naturally derived product utilizing the "Jamaican" processing technique. This method helps seal in all the essential oils of the castor and involves roasting the castor beans prior to manually pressing them for their oils. Because of the roasting process, there are traces of ash in the castor oil that intensifies the effectiveness of the product.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil has a darker, deeper color, and a richer, earthier aroma. The ash in JBCO tends to make it more alkaline, and the higher pH can help clarify the scalp and remove impurities that clog pores. JBCO is also rich in Omega-6 and -9 fatty acids, ricinoleic acid, all of which provide much-needed nutrients and anti-inflammatory properties to the skin.
What Are the Differences Between "Regular" and Jamaican Black Castor Oil?
There are three primary differences between castor oil and JBCO.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil Benefits
- Method of Processing: As mentioned, JBCO requires the application of heat to extract the oil. In contrast, regular castor oil does not use heat — it's produced by "cold-pressing," which reduces the risk of bean degradation.
- Color: The roasting of the castor beans results in a darker "burnt" color for JBCO. Standard castor oil exhibits a lighter, yellowish hue.
- pH Level: The ash found in JBCO results in a higher pH value than traditional castor oil — it is classified as a "base" as opposed to an acid, which gives it its clarifying properties.
Many manufacturers choose to use Jamaican Black Castor Oil for their products as JBCO offers a host of health and cosmetic benefits:
- Scalp and Hair Health: JBCO consists of a high volume of omega-9 fatty acids, which promotes scalp health and improves the appearance of hair by making it thicker and fuller. It also makes the hair follicles stronger.
- Clear Skin: JBCO has anti-inflammatory properties that help to alleviate acne.
- Moisturizing: JBCO can moisturize dry skin, which can improve conditions such as chapped lips.
- Anti-Aging: JBCO's exceptional emollient properties can slow down the effects of aging on the skin.
- Treating Infections: JBCO's antifungal and antibacterial characteristics can be beneficial in fighting infections by preventing the spreading of bacteria.
- Improving Digestion: The ricinoleic acid found in Jamaican black castor oil stimulates the muscles in the bowels, which aids digestion.
- Pain Relief: Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, JBCO can provide temporary relief of muscle and joint pain.
- Improving Sleep: According to some sources, rubbing a drop or two of JBCO on the eyelids can promote better sleep and even cure insomnia.
While traditional castor oil provides many of these benefits, JBCO often intensifies the results.Jamaican Black Castor Oil Uses in Manufacturing
You can find Jamaican black castor oil as a key ingredient in products such as:
- Personal & Hair Care Products: Shampoos, conditioners, over-the-counter scalp treatment medications — to relieve a dry, itchy scalp
- Skin Care Products: Lotions, moisturizers, hand creams, lip balm, etc.
- Wound Treatments: Products that treat small sores or open wounds
- Pain Relievers: Topical products that relieve joint pain
- Laxatives: Products that help to relieve constipation
- Sleep Aids: All-natural remedies that promote sleep or help to cure insomnia
Where to Buy Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Choosing an experienced Jamaican black castor oil supplier such as 18c, an extension of Acme-Hardesty, ensures you get natural, high-quality raw ingredients to manufacture your products — we've been a leading castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil distributor for more than 50 years. We focus on providing bio-based solutions that help manufacturers meet today's sustainability requirements.
Check Out Our Selection of Jamaican Black Castor Oil for Sale
We offer liquid Jamaican black castor oil in a 5-gallon pail or 1-gallon can. Place your order safely and securely right here on our online platform. Feel free to contact us online
if you have questions or need additional product or pricing information.