Though most people aren't familiar with isopropyl myristate (IPM), this ingredient is an essential component of many major products and industry applications. When you buy this IPM from a trusted isopropyl myristate supplier, you can ensure your products are strong, thick and effective.
Acme-Hardesty has been supplying isopropyl myristate and similar esters for more than 70 years. Sustainability has been a consistent theme with our products and for our company over those years. Acme-Hardesty has innovative solutions for functional cosmetics, among others, for the increasing segment of eco-conscious consumers.
As an extension of the Acme-Hardesty brand, 18c by Acme-Hardesty offers the same superior-grade bio-based products in smaller quantities formulated to suit your needs. We give our customers an easy and efficient means of purchasing high-quality oleochemicals in a size that best serves them.
What Is Isopropyl Myristate?
Isopropyl myristate is an ester of isopropanol and myristic acid. IPM is a colorless liquid used in many applications, including personal care and cosmetics, flavor, fragrance and pharmaceuticals. Isopropyl myristate is a vegetable-based ester with a faint odor that has been manufactured to the highest standards of eco-friendly management.
IPM is an emollient — a thick, waxy substance that moisturizes, softens and fortifies the skin. Emollients like IPM also act as occlusive agents, keeping skin hydrated longer by producing an oily film that locks moisture into the skin without making it feel greasy. Isopropyl myristate is also considered a thickening agent, a type of ingredient used to increase the viscosity of a liquid without substantially altering its other properties.
Isopropyl Myristate Uses
IPM serves as an emollient, moisturizer or thickening agent in the personal care and cosmetics industry, specifically in creams and lotions. It has proven uses as a solvent, binder and diluent in the flavor and fragrance industry. Additionally, its moisturizing and thickening properties make it suitable for topical medicinal preparations in pharmaceuticals.
Additional uses for isopropyl myristate include:
- Personal care products: One of the most common applications of IPM is in personal care products. Some of the many solutions that contain this ingredient include shampoos, conditioners, shower gels, aftershave, tanning lotion and hand sanitizer.
- Cosmetics: Another typical use of isopropyl myristate is in cosmetic applications, such as lipstick, powder, perfume, makeup remover, foundation, moisturizer, eye shadow and other types of makeup.
- Food: Though less common than other applications, isopropyl myristate is sometimes used as a food flavor additive.
- Medicine: IPM has various medicinal uses, acting as an ingredient in topical medicines and ointments. It is also used in mouthwash to kill oral bacteria and can also treat head lice.
Benefits of Isopropyl Myristate
When you buy isopropyl myristate at 18c by Acme-Hardesty, you'll enjoy all the benefits of this versatile ingredient:
- Retains moisture: IPM creates a protective barrier over the skin that helps to prevent moisture loss.
- Protects against contaminants: Isopropyl myristate keeps the skin's outer layer strong and intact, limiting the skin's exposure to bacteria and allergens.
- Softens skin and hair: Because IPM is an emollient, it helps to soften and smooth skin and hair. This quality makes it ideal for dry or flaky skin.
- Helps the skin absorb beneficial ingredients: Isopropyl myristate makes it easier for the skin to absorb skincare ingredients like medicated formulas, helping them act more effectively.
- Improves product texture: IPM thickens personal care products without making them feel heavy, creating a more pleasant texture. This light ingredient produces even emulsions to form non-tacky, non-greasy textures that feel soothing to the skin.
- Resists oxidation: This emollient is resistant to oxidation, which means it doesn't become rancid when exposed to oxygen.
Storing Isopropyl Myristate
Isopropyl myristate is not known to cause skin or eye irritation and is highly stable when kept in a closed container in cool and dry conditions. When storing this ingredient, be sure to keep it in its original packaging for the best results.
Buy Isopropyl Myristate Online From 18c by Acme-Hardesty
If you're looking for a reliable isopropyl myristate supplier, 18c by Acme-Hardesty is your go-to distributor. Our aim is to help customers find sustainably sourced solutions that serve their individualized sizing and application needs.Contact us
to learn more about our IPM products today!CAS#: 110-27-0
Tetradecanoic Acid, Isopropyl Ester