AHCOHOL™ 1898, which is our trade name for stearyl alcohol, is a natural fatty alcohol that is used in skincare and cosmetic products for its thickening, emollient and emulsifier properties.
What Is Stearyl Alcohol?
Stearyl alcohol is derived from stearic acid, which is a saturated fatty acid. This ingredient usually comes from coconut and palm kernel oils. Stearyl alcohol is available in pastilles that are solid, colorless and odorless.
It is non-toxic and non-sensitizing, so it's safe to use in cosmetics as well as other personal care products.
Uses & Applications of Stearyl Alcohol
Stearyl alcohol has a wide variety of uses. The properties of stearyl alcohol make it a common ingredient in products such as:
- Shampoo and conditioner: Stearyl alcohol is great at detangling and smoothing hair. It also helps emulsify the formula.
- Creams and ointments: Stearyl alcohol is beneficial for lotions that heal dry and flaky skin because its emollient properties seal in moisture.
- Cosmetics: This ingredient keeps the water and oil components of foundation and concealer together to make the product consistent in application. It also thickens the makeup and helps it adhere to the skin for long-lasting wear.
- Deodorants and antiperspirants: Stearyl alcohol emulsifies the active ingredients and fragrance in stick products in the base while modifying texture.
Besides personal products, stearyl alcohol is also used in the manufacture of nonionic surfactants and as an intermediate in waxes, plastics and textiles. It can also be a multipurpose additive in food.
Benefits of Stearyl Alcohol
Stearyl alcohol in products has many benefits. It:
- Locks in moisture: The fatty acids in stearyl alcohol create a barrier on the skin that seals in moisture to prevent it from evaporating.
- Soothes and softens skin: Stearyl alcohol is great at keeping moisture in the skin, which makes the skin softer.
- Defends against environmental elements: The barrier on the skin also keeps out damage-causing environmental elements.
- Thickens products: Stearyl alcohol makes products thicker, which is beneficial for consistency, adhesion and viscosity purposes.
- Stabilizes products: For products with an oil and water mixture, stearyl alcohol keeps the elements together to prevent their natural separation.
Packaging & Shelf Life of Stearyl Alcohol
Follow the packaging directions for your supply of stearyl alcohol to make sure it lasts as long as possible. Store it in a place that's dry, well-ventilated, cool and away from any sources of heat. It
should also be out of direct sunlight and away from extreme temperatures. When you're not using the stearyl alcohol, be sure to keep the container closed.
How to Dispose of Stearyl Alcohol
When you're handling stearyl alcohol, wear the appropriate protective gear — gloves and goggles. If you spill the stearyl alcohol, clean it up immediately. If it's a solid spill, collect it as you would any solid.
Get rid of the waste in a disposal container.
Dispose of your stearyl alcohol supply in a manner that follows all of your local, regional, national and international regulations.
Choose 18c by Acme-Hardesty as Your Trusted Stearyl Alcohol Supplier
If you're searching for stearyl alcohol suppliers, trust 18c, a division of Acme-Hardesty. We're one of the largest distributors in the industry for raw products for personal care. Whether you're a small boutique, a niche manufacturer or something in between, you'll find that we strive to provide solutions that are bio-based and sustainable. Buy stearyl alcohol online from 18c by Acme-Hardesty today. If you have any questions about our products or pricing, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. You can get in touch by filling out the contact form on our website.