Esters & Surfactants
What Are Esters & Surfactants?If you're planning to create cosmetics, lotions, shampoos or similar products at your boutique, esters and surfactants are a must-have. But what are these ingredients, and where can you buy esters online?
An ester is a type of emollient. This compound forms as a result of a reaction between an organic acid and an alcohol. Esters feel less oily on the skin than many other emollients, which makes them a preferred choice in many types of skin care products.
A surfactant — or a "surface-active agent" — is one of the basic foundations of most skin and hair care products. These chemicals stabilize mixtures of oil and water — which don't naturally blend well together — to keep the two ingredients from separating. It's used as a foaming agent in shampoos and similar hair products, an emulsifier in lotions and creams and a conditioning tool in hair conditioners.
As an extension of the industry-leading Acme-Hardesty brand, 18c by Acme-Hardesty offers small-quantity esters and surfactants that are perfect for small boutiques and testing facilities. Find esters in convenient one-gallon sizes in our world-class inventory.
Uses and Applications of Esters and SurfactantsThe uses of surfactants and esters in cosmetics and hair care are virtually unlimited. We offer numerous sustainable, bio-based products perfect for your skin and hair care purposes, including the following:
- EnSense™ Silk ALB: C12-15 alkyl benzoate is an ester with versatile applications. Many companies use it for SPF and cosmetic purposes, and it offers a silky feeling and light conditioning that leaves the skin feeling rejuvenated. Use it to create sun care products, deodorants, eye makeup, lipstick, shaving lotions, skin care creams and more.
- Isopropyl Myristate: Isopropyl Myristate (IPM) is a colorless ester composed of myristic acid and isopropyl alcohol. It's used to moisturize the skin and dilute perfumes and colognes, perfect for use in fragrances, skin conditioners, deodorants and professional creams.
- MCT Oil: Also known as Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride or Octanoic/Decanoic Acid Triglyceride, MCT palm oil contains medium chain triglycerides that offer a smooth, oil-free texture. This ester is exceptionally gentle, which is ideal for products made for sensitive skin. Use it for various cosmetics, fragrances, massage oils and aromatherapy applications.
- Sodium Coco Sulfate: Sodium Coco Sulfate is a palm-oil-based alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This biodegradable ester features powerful cleansing capabilities and exceptional foaming. You can use it in shampoos, body washes and scrubs, toothpaste, shaving lotions and nearly any other product meant to foam and clean.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a versatile ingredient used in countless personal care products. It often acts as a surfactant and skin conditioner. You'll find SLS in many toothpastes, mouthwashes, shaving lotions, bubble baths, shampoos, body washes, hand creams and more.
The 18c by Acme-Hardesty DifferenceIf you're wondering where to buy esters for cosmetics online, 18c by Acme-Hardesty is here to help. We offer esters, surfactants and other ingredients perfect for today's hair and skin care specialists. We supply only sustainable, bio-based solutions, so even your most environmentally conscious customers will feel at ease buying products made from our ingredients. What's more, we've created our e-commerce site with your small boutique in mind, so you can buy small quantities of one-gallon esters that you might only be able to find in massive amounts elsewhere.
Reach out for more information about us and our products, or browse our selection to order your surfactants and esters today.