AHCOHOL™ 1698, which is our trade name for cetyl alcohol, was first found in whale oil but now comes from vegetable sources. Because of its hydrating and softening properties, it's often used in products for skin and hair.
What Is Cetyl Alcohol?
Cetyl alcohol is derived from vegetable oil like coconut, palm or a similar fat. It looks like a white wax and is unscented. It can come in the form of flakes or pellets. 18c by Acme-Hardesty has cetyl alcohol in pastille form.
Uses & Applications of Cetyl Alcohol
Cetyl alcohol has many properties that are useful in skincare and makeup products. Its applications include:
- Shampoo and conditioner: Cetyl alcohol acts as an opacifier to make the product opaque while giving hair moisture and hydration as well as a frizz- and tangle-free look.
- Skincare products and body wash: Cetyl alcohol emulsifies products to make them thicker and provides hydration for the skin.
- Cosmetics: In makeup products, cetyl alcohol will soften and moisturize the skin as well as help the product stay on all day.
Apart from personal products, cetyl alcohol may also serve in applications such as:
- Lubricant for metals
- Manufacture of nonionic surfactants
- Intermediate in both textile and plastic production
What Are the Benefits of Cetyl Alcohol?
There are many benefits of adding cetyl alcohol to personal care products. The perks include that it:
- Boosts foaming for surfactants and non-aqueous liquids
- Softens skin by helping it retain water
- Moisturizes skin as well as hair without greasiness
- Thickens formulas for a creamy and smooth application
Packaging & Shelf Life of Cetyl Alcohol
Store your cetyl alcohol with these guidelines in mind to keep it in its best condition. The storage area should be a cool, dry and well-ventilated location that's away from any heat source. It should also
be away from direct sunlight and extreme temperatures. When you're not using the cetyl alcohol, keep its container closed. Stored according to these directions, cetyl alcohol has a shelf life of two years from the date of manufacture.
How to Dispose of Cetyl Alcohol
When you're working with cetyl alcohol, be sure to wear gloves and goggles for protection. In case of a spill, contain the cetyl alcohol immediately. If it's a solid spill, collect it as any solid. The cetyl alcohol
spill should then be placed in a proper disposal container.
Dispose of your cetyl alcohol supply according to your local, regional, national and international regulations.
Trust 18c by Acme-Hardesty as Your Cetyl Alcohol Supplier
18c by Acme-Hardesty is one of the largest distributors in the industry for raw ingredients that can be used in personal care products. We're committed to quality and strive for sustainable
and bio-based solutions. For small businesses and niche manufacturers alike, we have the materials required to create the best moisturizers, soaps and more.
Buy cetyl alcohol in our secure online store today. Our cetyl alcohol has a vegetable feedstock and is available in a 55-pound bag in kosher NF grade and pastille form. If you have any questions about 18c by Acme Hardesty's products or pricing, contact us online so that we can help.